SAVORY OATMEAL WITH CHEDDAR AND FRIED EGG
yield 1 serving
This savory oatmeal is a great way to switch up your breakfast routine. If you don’t want to bother with frying up an egg in another pan, you can also crack the egg into the oatmeal when it is nearly done cooking.
- 1/4 cup dry quick-cooking steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 2 TBS shredded white cheddar cheese (add more if you like)
- 1 tsp coconut oil, divided
- 1/4 cup diced red peppers
- 2 TBS finely chopped onions
- 1 large egg
- chopped walnuts
- sliced green onions
- za’atar (or any other spice blend)
- Stove Top Method: Bring water to boil. Add oatmeal, reduce heat a little and let it cook for about 3 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and stir in cheese, a small pinch of salt, and pepper.
- Microwave Method*: Place oats and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Line microwave dish with paper towels to catch any spills. Microwave at a high setting (but not the highest, about 8/10 power setting) at one-minute intervals for a total of 3 minutes. If you want a softer texture, continue microwaving at 30-second intervals. Give the oats a little stir between intervals. When the oatmeal is done, stir in shredded cheese, a small pinch of salt, and pepper.
- Heat a nonstick pan with 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until they soften. Spoon vegetables over cooked oats. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon of oil and fry egg. Cook until the whites are no longer translucent and serve over oatmeal.
- Top with chopped walnuts, green onions, and za’atar, if you like.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262, Total Fat 16g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Sodium: 178mg, Cholesterol: 201mg, Total Carbohydrate: 18g, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 3g, Protein 13g
- *Different brands of oatmeal may have different cooking times for the microwave method. Check the packaging for instructions
- If you want an even lighter meal, use coconut oil spray instead of coconut oil.
- If you have any leftover cooked vegetables from the day before, just warm them up and add them to your oatmeal.